License / Partnership Agreement Terms
- Do we have certainty as to the totality of the program?
- What are its boundaries?
- What are all its "completed elements" to date in Canada?
- Scope: Title / name / pending concept for every tool going in the tool box.
A full agreement is needed, but this can be in draft form. Some changes are expected over time.
Name of the program: ISCA's Lifespan Aquatics Programming
Area: United States and its territories
For expansion to other countries, ISCA has a right of first refusal. Expansion to other countries require additional agreements.
For example: ISCA's Lifespan Aquatics Programming might expand to include USA and Poland, with another agreement. And as an option, all negotiated, of course, a solution might include Poland's Lifespan Aquatics Programming so as to use some or all of the materials and support developed in partnership with ISCA and The Swim Academy.
Licensing makes sense for both parties.
Franchising the program, and rolling it out worldwide, takes great start-up investments.
A plan for outreach to other markets needs to be crafted.
Different target markets
Swim Clubs might be a big user, but some of the bigger clients in Canada are from City Recreation and University sectors.
Swim clubs are different markets vs. fitness clubs vs. school districts.
Target numbers by year.
- How many programs will ISCA have in place in 2021?
- What about the next 4 years?
Income / profit split on training and education programs.
Payment of fees. How and when?
Tracking of program growth, development and memberships.
Every income stream needs to be included in the License / Partnership Agreement Terms.
- Virtual clinics
- In-person clinics
- Per-person fees
- Rights and translations
ICSC's exclusive rights
- Countries beyond USA, right of first refusal
- Both parties understand the common interest and work in good faith to develop a licensing agreement that will works for all.
John Barry Healey, lead swim instructor in the USA to at least 2024.
Training and Courses for Swimming Teachers – Tutors – Upgrade Training
Roles for John Barry Healey:
With foreign rights discussions
With Site license support agreements
- written terms
- length of service
Site license support agreements
Interested party agreements
Course Completion Authorization for individuals
Doug you had mentioned that you had a program that would work.
Legal Documents (still draft form)
- Draft / placeholder license between ISCA & The Swim Academy
- Draft / placeholder license agreement with ISCA and swim facilities
An important aspect of creating a successful venture is having a foundational document that includes the exact steps for moving forward. This business plan allows leadership the opportunity to wrestle (mentally) with every issue and come to a shared understanding. React by putting in comments at the bottom each page.
The USA swim school market has seen new investment from private investors. Owning a private swimming schools has grown to become a bigger investment and the cost of entry is too steep for many swim teams and swimming coaches.
ISCA's Lifespan Aquatics Programming changes the face of swimming at the grassroots in the USA market.
- increases in memberships
- interactions with recreation programs.
- new partnerships
- stronger teams
Determining what the business (NPO) does and sells.
- For any people who manage swimming pools
- Coaches and others who manage swim programs
- We provide support for aquatic programing
- That is efficient and exciting for the participants and the staff
- Unlike Red Cross
- that helps with disaster relief and lessons for the past century
- ISCA's approach and solution functions better for staff development, student progress, family awareness
- That offers a better customer and client experience.
Generic (for editing hints)
- For (the target customer)
- Who (specific needs, demands, buying criteria, etc)
- We provide (solution name / brand description)
- That (specifies benefits and business values to clients)
- Unlike (the competition)
- Who (provide solutions, features, functions, benefits).
- Our company (better approach, solution, functions, benefits)
- That (offers a better customer experience).
Mission: Participation, Fun, Success
More than just another set of learn-to-swim badges, ISCA's Lifespan Aquatics Programming offers new and different experiences with a learner-centered approach that is fun and rewarding.
- Early introduction of sport and the swimming strokes, gets everyone swimming and happier right from the start.
- Charting continuous improvement builds confidence in the pool and around open water.
- Our water safety focus is consistent and deep.
- Advancement bring a success mindset.
- Continuous recognition of achievements happens, rather than a pass/fail approach.
- ISCA’s Lifespan Aquatics Programming inspires a pathway for dynamic, lifelong aquatic participation.
- Communities develop a passion for aquatic sports with fun, water-strong-skills and endurance.
ISCA's Lifespan Aquatics Programming is an opportunity to rebuild swimming and aquatics from the bottom up. Millions of children have not taken swimming lessons for dozens of months due to the pandemic. Thousands of swimming teachers have been out of work as their pools and lessons were closed. Many won't return to prior positions.
Most providers have been forced to think again about their offerings and service directions.
The feel-good emotions from the Olympics might continue for a few more months, but they will fade until 2024.
Swim clubs and lesson programs are in a rebuilding period. Some are expected to return to their pre-Covid-19 methods, while others are sure to grasp for other solutions.
NGBs are looking at quadrennial plans. FINA is investing millions into Africa swimming. More opportunities are growing in some countries and citizens.
Learn to swim better and faster with ISCA's LAP
Be a part of the best programming framework, according to world-class coaches and teachers.
- Students learn with more effective skills in a most effective aquatics program in the world.
- Participant, staff and leadership engagement is extended with a far larger range of activities, challenges and knowledge.
Feeder system's worth is tied to devoted pool use
ISCA's Lifespan Aquatics Programming can generate new swimmers for swim teams, new incomes for swim coaches, new opportunities for local communities and new enrichment for younger coaches -- depending upon how much pool time is devoted.
Big Picture of the Aquatic Market
One of the early mistakes made in Canada was to think the market was Swim Clubs. Now, the biggest groups and clients in Canada are City Recreation and University programs. These sites have more access to pool time, staffing and marketing budgets. Their programs also subsidize the cost of taking part in their lessons.
We don’t want to put the clubs off. Rather we want to increase their feeder programs. We want to increase the membership. We want to offer less work and more incentives. We want to increase their income streams.
Coaches, Facilities and Swim Clubs can expect:
- Fast, easy implementation.
- Ability to run any program independently, or as a complement to existing aquatic programs.
- Affordable teacher training.
- Streamline teacher/coach administration tools.
- Flexible swimmer awards.
- Full-spectrum of options to engage the entire community: from babies-to-seniors, among recreational, educational, career and competitive programs.
are with programs that already have swim schools, unless they want to change.
Areas that have been targeted by the Private Swim Schools business. Is the market being served already?
Clubs that have a high turn over of Head Swimming Coaches. If a club keeps changing coaches each year, establishing the program in a larger challenge.
Programs that cannot make decisions quickly.
Summary of the products and services that are exchanged for income:
- Virtual clinics
- In-person clinics
- Per-person fees
- Rights and translations
Branding with Name, Logos, URLs
- Business cards
- Landing pages
- Student support website for badges / rewards
- Client support elements for facility
- Tours, questionnaire, AI chat bot
- Additional media channels, perhaps, else build upon those of ISCA.
- Use of Keap.app.
Different pricing might be based upon location and local economy. ??
Price list (version 1)
- Swimming Teachers Memberships, $ 35 per year
- Partnership Agreements, $3,000 based on number
- Masters Course Conductors, 3 days, $450 each
- Full Teachers Course, $300 each
- Upgrade Course, $180 to $250 each
- I CAN Teach - Youth Leadership, $100 each
- Manuals, $15
- USB Drives, $15
- Master Course Conductors Books, $20
- Grid Sheets for Teachers, $5.50
- Stages Award Books for Swimmers, Levels 1, 2, 3, $6 each
- Award certificate, $1.50 each
- Stickers per swimmer, $4
Future price lists (version 2)
The market size of swimming teachers is larger than competitive swimming's 25,000 coaches. The USA Swim School marketplace is experiencing hot growth and accounts for more than a billion dollar in annual revenue.
Consider the growth of each group and market in the future.
- Income from lessons in version 1.
Launching and roll-out of ISCA's Lifespan Aquatics Programming
Management should be smart on where to begin.
Some quick wins can be helpful. Obtain some friendly and support programs at the outset.
All the modules of the program will not be available in the first phase. Some of the modules are going to be held so that a brilliant job in marketing and servicing can be accomplished.
Need to be in place before the launch.
- Changes to Canadian version for the USA Market.
- Printing and web site.
- Finalized pricing of all products and services. Pricing discussions should occur within the budget-building process. See Prices.
How we are going to conduct the launch.
Announcing and making an original, newsworthy splash in marketplace can create buzz. Without looking too far ahead, this plan for the next year needs to be detailed, more-so than the plan for five-years and ten-years into the future.
Pressing needs come with the job fight and shortage of workers, lifeguards and keeping talented coaches and instructors in the sport and on their roles. Having a massive brain-drain would harm the return to pools as Covid dissipates.
Contingency plans need to account for possible upticks to the pandemic too.
- Timeline and project plans
An Introduction to an avatar:
Avatar are defined as "An icon or figure representing a particular person." In this business plan, an avatar is a representation of an ideal client/customer. A business may have multiple avatars representing several target demographics, and this does. Some prefer to distill the ideal customer down to one person, as a fictional avatar to help communicate more clearly.
Avatars are ISCA's Lifespan Aquatics Programming customers. Our avatar works in a professional position in aquatics but often struggles to keep his or her head above water (pun) in a busy, action-packed settings without supportive secretarial help among many seasonal employees. This avatar is a future-pace hero that offers and seeks new generation solutions. Overwhelmed, but hopeful, the avatar is empowering others in aquatics in loving, highly energic, ways. As a trusted, authority figure at the pool, the avatar, while not an entrepreneur, understands that a demand and gap exists for an expanding, transformative, aquatic tool box that is provided with ISCA's Lifespan Aquatics Programming.
Avatars for Schools and School Districts
Holiday / Personal Development Days
School District Partnerships
USA Swimming Clubs
Colleges and Universities
City and County Government Lesson Programs and Facilities
Summer swim clubs (beyond USA Swimming)
Efforts might arise due to some pools or programs losing teams and/or cutting teams.
Other aquatic bodies
Not everyone in going to welcome ISCA's Lifespan Aquatics Programming with open arms. Some agencies are going to consider the program a threat to their own business, goals and aims. Sure, this will ruffle some feathers. So what.
Possible road blocks and barriers set up to slow down the acceptance might include:
This makes a threat to:
American Red Cross
- British Swim Schools,
- USA Swimming Make-a-splash (whatever that is)
I am not sure if we should start by trying to change a club from SwimAmerica, unless we know that they want a change. We don’t need too many battles.
Legacy lessons from Canada:
Best Sellers in Canada:
- I Can Swim, Stages 1- 3
- I Can Swim Fast, Stage 4
- I Can teach.
- Upgrade Courses for Teachers
- Full teachers Course
- Annual swimming teachers memberships, $35, (Canada's price)
Pre Covid Reach
- The years before Covid's arrival, Canada's numbers were between 15,000 to 20,000 per year.
1 Areas with good access to pools. Pool time to expand.
2 Clubs that have want to have a swim school or a better feeder program
3 Areas where ISCA has friends and supporters that we can build partnerships together.
4 Communities that have maybe cut their swim programs at the university.
5 Where there are no private swimming programs set up at this point.
6 Areas we there is a very large swimming community.
7 Outdoor and Indoor pools.
8 A community interest in Swimming for what ever reason.
9 A willing coach or program that wants change or improvement.
Raw, target areas. Need to turn into avatars.
- Areas with good access to pools.
- Areas where pool time can be obtained for community programs.
- Clubs that have want to have a swim school or a better feeder program
- Areas where ISCA has friends and supporters that we can build partnerships together.
- University communities that have cut their varsity swim programs.
- Where there are no private swimming programs set up at this point.
- Areas we there is a very large swimming community.
- Outdoor and Indoor pools.
- A willing coach or program that wants change or improvement.
Phases and Time Frames
Start with Dolphins, levels 1 to 4. Dolphins are the best sellers in Candada. Cover great skills. Dolphins can fit into all types of programs. Dolphins can be offered as a stand alone or it can be bolted on to other programs.
The Upgrade Teachers course can be delivered both by web programming or in person.
Stages I am sure will become the number one in the USA.
After that Under 5 programming if they programs have access to warm water.
Then the masters and Tri market.
Goals and Aims for Years 1, 2 and 3.
Looking at the bigger picture.
Types of Partnerships
Keep all doors open. Seek a wide view of all types of programs and providers. Swim Clubs are one type of partner, but others provide huge opportunities and great numbers. City, University and Leisure sites are easier to deal with and have much bigger numbers. They also have access to other options like summers camps. School lessons have a bigger impact on the wider community.
Some swim clubs in Canada have grown to million-dollar budgets. this is due to take over of small programs.
Some swim clubs operate out of multiple pools.
- University programs
- Private Clubs
- Leisure programs.
Figure out the different options in year one.
The program can be stand alone and a bolt on to other programs.
Support services for new partnerships and owners.
We should start to consider what will our role be?
We should consider ideas such as:
- Free awards and lessons in some areas, by joint partnership working.
- Free training places on courses for Swimming teachers.
- Swim Weeks and Clinics. Go into a Inner City and teach a 1,000 kids to swim during the summer.
- Re look at incentives for partnerships that want to take the program on.
- Lead on swimming lessons in schools.
- Have a partnership with some of the best local pool builders. Safe Pools – Swim at Home program.
- Access grants to help with costs and paying for staff and projects.
Tracking, reporting, grading:
- New clubs
- New swimmers
- Fee and payments
- Connections to Goals and Aims
- Marketing connections
- Sponsorship interactions
- Web-page visits
- Scheduled meetings and attendance
Market sizes in swimming
The USA Market is huge.
ISCA already has an excellent track record of service and support.
This venture gives the ISCA the opportunity to:
- Increase in membership numbers by adding more swimming teachers, tutors and mentors
- ISCA gets a foundation at the grassroots level with introduction to swimming and the aquatic world.
- Increase ISCA's income streams in new areas.
- - Become a leader at the grassroots level.
- - Become a leader in the field of teaching and training swimming teachers and junior coaches.
- - To offer the ability to increase membership and income to its large base of Coaches and programs.
Client checklist before deploying ISCA's Lifespan Aquatics Programming:
If the site has a positive track record and the desire and motivation to offer an excellent program, then:
- Access to pools that provide a safe and welcoming environment.
- If offering Tots, need access to warm water and shallow pools.
- Fill out application to become a program and submit.
- The owner and senior staff have taken the training and understand the guidelines and standards.
- Swimming teachers have taken the training (Upgrade).
- Appropriate fees and paperwork are paid and signed.
Early adopters should sign up and pay fees. We can consider special, introduction rates. Nothing should be given away. Everything should have a price and a cost.
Inclusion as a tag.
After this business plan is completed, this venture needs:
- a marketing plan
- front facing web approach,
- customer pathways,
- lifeguard alliance(s),
- sponsorship plan and sponsors.
Alliance possibilities for Lifeguard Certification
ISCA's Lifespan Aquatics Programming needs a lifeguarding component.
- Jeff Ellis Management, JEM, https://jeffellismanagement.com/
Ellis has courses on bloodborne pathogens, CPR, First Aid, etc,, etc.
Ellis has its own lifeguard manuals, lifeguard learning management system, and capacity to certify lifeguards in all states and dozens of countries.
If we can embrace and extend the Ellis system with our programming, we've got a win-win-win.
Ellis has a swim lesson program leader. I did a video with her about 8 months ago. It was okay and built on flexibility to suit the needs of the host facility. We bring a bunch to their places.
The medical director for Jeff Ellis Management is a long-tme friend. When ISCA is ready to make a fantastic presentation, we will. First, our numbers / projections and content must be ready.
Ellis has an annual gathering for aquatic professionals. I went in early 2021. It was fully virtual. Very, very good.
Ellis has a lifeguard instructor upgrade course too. Its blended learning system is completed, in-house, and ready to be deployed far and wide, as they use it at most big vacation sites (Disney, etc.).